[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Security/Privacy of Certificates in Netscape 3.0

Gene Ingram's recent message doesn't fully capture the VeriSign Digital ID
application and issuing process.

The only fields required to be in a Class 2 Digital ID are user name and
email address. Home address is optional. The Digital ID does not contain social
security number, birthdate or any other verification information. (The
enrollment pages say "This information is used to verify your identity; it
is kept confidential and NOT included in your Digital ID")

SSN and birthdate, among other things, are used to authenticate identity.
This is also why we request a credit card number. We don't charge credit
cards for services unless we state so EXPLICITLY. We indicate that our Class
2 Service is in beta and we state that we do not charge the applicant's
credit card. We do check the Equifax credit database, and we use the credit
card check to help authenticate identity.

The reason the expiration date is in August is that we're currently in Beta and
tied to the browser manufacturer's schedule. We appreciate the feedback that
all users have given us during this beta phase. When the product is final we
will be able to offer longer term full-assurance Digital ID's.

Finally, NS-API supports reading certificate content, so we expect web sites
to use this information when users access a secure page. Certificates would
be mapped against an existing ACL to provide a more secure access than
passwords due today.

Paul Meijer
Product Marketing Manager
VeriSign, Inc.